Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Extremely windy winter weather

Got up earlier than usual this AM to head to town for a stress test that my Doc had ordered for me.  Had to be in by 0715 and it's about a 30 min drive.  Couldn't have anything to ear or drink and that's the part that damned near killed cause I just can't get my day started right without my COFFEE!!   But - I made a large travel cup full and put it in a thermos for afterwards.  Anyway - I headed out the door and boy was it cold.  There was very little snow on the ground but we had had some flurries overnight. 

Thank God - nothing like the New England area is getting.  As I headed up over the mountain I noticed the road was fairly slick but passable.  Then I heard on the radio that our local temp was 20 degrees but with a wind chill of -15 to -20 degrees.  YUP - I said minus 15 to minus 20 degrees.  I noticed that the wind was really kicking up and gusting fairly hard but I had no idea it was that cold.  As I hit the main road I saw that the county had salted the roads and the iced surface was just wet but still slick.  Got behind a truck and my windshield got all messed up from the road grime so - not thinking (((SINCE I HADN'T HAD MY COFFEE))))  I switched on the windshield wipers and WOW - what a mess.  Instant iced over windshield with zero (( 0 )) visibility.  No problem - I just hit the windshield washer, which is supposed to have de-icer in it but ooooohhhhhh nnnnoooooo.  Not today it didn't.  Or at least there wasn't enough de-icer to keep it from freezing over the already frozen over windshield.  Now I have zero zero visibility, with some emergency navigation skill out the driver side window - at least enough to get over to the side of the road.  I really don't like to drive these mountain roads, especially since I was on the downhill run, without being able to see the road.  So - I pulled over - turned on the defrost vent for the dash and cranked it up full blast.  Whew!  Problem solved.  Now I could use the windshield washer and wipers to clear the windshield and head on down the road.  What an experience and me headed for a STRESS TEST.  Got it covered.  Anyway - I got through it alright.  Doc says I achieved over 97% for my heart rate and my age and that for an old fart - my heart was exceptionally strong.  But then - he wasn't with me when I was coming down the mountain this morning either!!!  Heh Heh Heh!!!   Stay warm ya'll and for my Florida friends ( that's you Barb) stay cool.   Later......

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch