Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Sub-zero weather

Checked the weather before I hit the sack last night and they were calling for dangerous freezing and rain mixed with sleet all night.  I figured I'd wake up around 3am to a total power outage due to lines down throughout the mountain.  Instead - we made it in spite of the freezing.  The first thing I noticed was our front yard.





This was Cathy's Weeping Willow that we planted last spring.  We planted two of them to help block the late afternoon sun from the front porch and they were both on the ground.  Not sure if they'll survive this freeze.

Looked out to the southeast and saw that the rest of the mountain had a coating of ice but couldn't really tell how much.  So - I went to the back porch to check the trees that are closer to the house.


This is what I saw.  Appears to be about 3/16 of an inch or maybe a little less of ice covering the branches.  Next I thought of the high-line wires that run across the road in front of the house.


Yup - about the same amount of ice but when you multiply that amount of ice by the distance between each pole - it's adds up to quite a bit of weight.  You could almost hear the telephone poles groaning.  Now - what do the roads look like.




This is the road going up and over the mountain.  I'd say it's gonna be pretty slick and barely passable.

This is the road headed down the mountain, which is about the same.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see what gives.  The temp is very slowly climbing.  It's 32 degrees right now with a slight bit of rain mixed with sleet.  Hopefully the temp will continue to rise and it'll turn to rain and clear some of the high-line wires and road. 

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch