Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Our Winter Friends

On my walkabout - I attempted some pics of the birds that hang around through the winter months.  I put suet blocks to help them along and also provides me the capability to capture some photos of them while they feed.

 This is a Male Cardinal feeding with a Junco waiting his turn.





Originally I had identified this as a Female Cardinal but am having second thoughts.  Usually the female is more brown than red but doesn't have black eye-stripe like the male.  Oh, well, I'll stick with my original thought.


This little guy is a Junco and they're quite common around here just like the sparrows.



And this dude is a Northern Flicker - didn't get a good look at the breast area but the markings are almost exact.  It's in the woodpecker family.  This one is hanging on the telephone pole, just below a Blue Bird nesting box.  I believe they.re trying to widen the opening on the Blue Bird house cause it'e all out of shape, as you can see below. 


Ah Well - I'm about pictured out for today.  Think I'll just sit back and enjoy the quiet beauty of the mountains and critters in winter.  Enjoy your day. 

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch