Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

New Arrowhead finds

Actually they are called projectile points or points.



 
The first one was probably a knife or thrusting point based on its size.  Unfortunately the hafting end or base is missing so I can't identify it.  Both edges are still very sharp.  The second point poses the same difficulty in identifying because of the broken base.  I haven't given up completely yet since there is a program that allows you to scan in the original point then draw in the shape that would fit or closely match the original.  If you look closely at the top cutting edge of the 2nd point you will notice that it is not as curved as the lower cutting edge.  That's because the person who made it reshaped it probably after it was damaged somehow.  The actual knapping or edging matches on both cutting sides of the point.  
 
 
I believe that I had posted this point not long ago and have been doing some research.  I'm gonna identify it as a Bakers Creek type projectile point.  That will date it Late Archaic to Woodland period or 4000 - 1300 years Before Present (BP).   This point has been worked so thin that if you hold it up to the light you can see light through the edges, which is also one of the keys to its identification.  The first two artifacts were found in a new hunting area for me.  I had a local young man rough cut some wood for me so I could finish putting the roof on my outlying shed.  When I went down to his saw mill, I was standing next to the saw table and looked down and found a crushed point.  I picked it up and showed him and he commented that he came across them all the time down there but he didn't actually go looking for them.  So, I asked his permission to hunt for artifacts on his property and he agreed.  These were the first that I found on his property.  Of course, I agreed to split any fortune that I might find.  All jokes aside, some of these projectile points can bring some tall money.  Not long ago one sold for over $30,000.  But - I don't hold my breath.  I just like the challenge of finding and identifying them.  Neat hobby.

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch