Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Another RAINY Day In Tennessee


I really needed to finish mowing the hill in the front of the house before it started raining again -  but - Cathy said she'd make me a blackberry cobbler if I'd go pick the blackberries --- Guess what happened next!!??!!



 
 
Yep - I got my little bucket and went after some of them delectable edibles.  However, I have some competition.  Seems the turkeys have beaten me to the punch, and based on the height that the berries are missing and the trampling, so did the bears.  They apparently get up earlier than I do.  But more bothersome is the fact that these berry bushes are less than 25 feet from my house.  I know there are bears up here cause I've seen the tracks down on the logging road just below the house but ain't seen any this close yet.  Guess they were here first tho - so I'll share :) 
Ya never know what you'll run into in the briar patch pick'n berries.  Reckon these fellas were after some sweetener of their own.   
 


 
My luck was good tho - they were more interested in the milkweed flower than me.  I still gave them a plenty of room.  Last year, in this same area, I stumbled into an underground hornets nest and boy was that exciting.  I managed to run up hill without spilling one berry and only got stung once.  When I got back on the porch and looked back down to the field it looked like there was a little black cloud hanging over the area where I had been standing.  Enough excitement for one day.  I'm just waiting on my cobbler. 

 

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch