Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

HAPPY 4th OF JULY

Well - we're still at it.  We finished the crown molding in the master bedroom.



I cheated.  I was a little intimidated by the upside down and backward process of cutting the crown molding so I found these corner pieces that eliminate all that confusion.  They are somewhat decorative and really sped up the work. 
Next we tackled the kitchen.  Since Cathy already had her new appliances all we needed to do was get new counter tops, including one for the island, a new and deeper double sink, and a back splash installed.  First came the butcher block top for the center island.  I ordered it from www.Grizzly.com
The actual top was only around $279 for the 36" x 60" x 1 3/4" thick, pretreated and finished Vermont Maple block.  The shipping was around $80 but it was worth it cause it looks sooooo much better than the old green Formica.
Then we got the main counter top replacement.  It is also formica or laminate but in a new textured, granite simulated finish.  It includes a routed edge that the older formica didn't have.  Then we went to Crossville where there's a tile outlet and bought the 3" x 3" tile for her back splash.  We chose not to have one the new counter top.  I think the back splash was the hardest cause I was working on a vertical plane rather than horizontal.  Actually putting the tile on the wall wasn't really the problem, it was the grout.  If you make it too thick, it dries out too fast and is hard to work.  I guess I made it a little too sloppy cause it kept falling off the trowel onto the counter top.  Oh well, it all worked out and I learned some lessons for the future.






The next big project will be getting a steel roof on the shed out back.  I've spent the past few weeks, when I wasn't working elsewhere, reinforcing the old trusses cause they were starting to sag.  The wood was still in perfect shape but the homemade trusses weren't properly reinforced so the roof was sagging in the middle.  I jacked each one up and reinforced then, to include a large gusset over the main joints and it looks pretty level now.  Not perfect but close enough for me.  I have a guy down the mountain who has a saw mill and is gonna rough cut some poplar 1 x 4 x 12's to use as furring strips on top of the shingles for screwing down the galv-aluminum roof sheets.  I have everything but the  1 x 4's and they should be ready within the next couple of weeks.  Joe, my neighbor, is gonna give me a hand with the roofing.
I wonder what I'm gonna do when all this work is done.  But I'm sure Cathy will come up with something.  We've already discussed building a two car pole barn that I would close in later for a garage.  Hum......

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch