Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

What's That - Spring ya say???

Wow - Got up this morning and what a beautiful sunrise over the mountains.  Still looked cold out so I braced myself and headed out to feed the furry critters (cats) on the back porch.  Surprise of surprises - it was almost 50 degrees out there.  Thought I was gonna have a heat stroke before I could get back in the house.  Heh Heh!!  Really feels good and now I am really looking forward to some green foliage, blue skies and lake time...  Cathy made another special meal today.  Seems every meal she makes lately is special, at least they are to me cause I never had them before and I really liked them.  Today she made Shrimp salad with cilantro dressing.  Never been a fan of cilantro but there was just ever so slight a hint of it in this.


As you can see Romaine lettuce, avocado, red bell pepper, and frozen corn and peas topped with the cilantro dressing and all of 305 calories.  Of course the wine is extra.  I'm sure it topped off the salad perfectly.  Don't know for sure as this was Cathy's plate.  I had tea.  Cathy has been trying to lose weight for awhile and I really believe she has hit on some winners.  She found them in the magazine "Taste of Home" and they appear to be working.  She's is losing weight.  I'm proud of her and I have always enjoyed her cooking.  I can only remember one meal that was a real looser and it was made with hamburger helper back when we were first married.  Since then it's been an adventure for my taste buds and appetite.  Saw the neighbor plowing and disking his garden today.  Hadn't seen Joe in a couple of weeks so took the 4 wheeler up the road for a visit.  He always plants two gardens and I mean gardens.  They each measure about 40' x 40' and are quite a bit of work.  I gave up on my garden cause it got to be a real pain trying to water it every other day.  Somehow, Joe's property stays wet, probably cause of all the underground springs that come off the top of the mountain.  Anyway, I usually help him plant and till his in exchange for some of his produce - beans, tomatoes, corn, onions, turnip and mustard greens, winter cabbage etc.  He really plants a bunch of stuff.  Cathy plans on canning again this summer so it will come in handy.  We also go up to Monticello, Kentucky and purchase produce in bulk from some of the truck farmers and it's a lot cheaper than buying vegetables in the stores like Walmart.   Anywho - guess I shouldn't get too excited cause Wednesday of next week the temp drops back to the low 40's for the daily high and mid 20's for the low.  They even predicted some snow flurries for Wednesday night.  But there's light at the end of the tunnel, I know summer is coming.  Hurrah!!!

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch