Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring is just around the corner

I love this time of year.  I really enjoy getting up early and watching the sunrise over the mountains here on the Tennessee Plateau.


I know - I know.  You're not supposed to take a picture directly into the sun but sometimes, if you're lucky, you can catch the shot just right where there's no reflection on the lens.  Sure - I should get the right filter, polarizing or something.  Seems like lately I've been posting lost of food articles and today is no different.  I just gotta tell ya about the meal Cathy orchestrated last night.  Firstly, ya have to understand that for the past 10 years or so, Cathy and I have set aside every Friday night just for us.  We call it our Friday Night Soiree.  So, every Friday we set up the coffee table in front of the couch and prepare for a leisurely evening meal.  Well, last night the love of my life truly out did herself.  This was absolutely the most outstanding meal I've had, - bar none.  Even Mom's home cooking can't compare.




Of course the diet went out the window - but it's only one meal out of how many every week.  She made Bay Scallop Gratins, with stuffed baked quahogs, shrimp cocktail and freezer Cole slaw and, of course, a good wine.



The gratins were from the Barefoot Contessa cook book.  All the other stuff we have had in the past.
Now - ya gotta understand, I'm not a real big fan of Ina Garten cause she's just a little too preppy for me but I have to hand it to her on this recipe.  However, I'll give all the credit to Cathy cause she did all the work, about 1 and a half hours.  The cole slaw recipe was given to Cathy by our neighbor, Jan Cook.  It's absolutely the best slaw I've ever had and probably the only one we'll have in the house from now on.  It doesn't have any mayonnaise in it and I hate mayonnaise.  After our leisurely meal, and feeling somewhat stuffed, we followed it up with an aperitif.  Now ain't that just a preppy word.  Cathy had Crème de Menthe over cracked ice and I had my old standby - a fresh cup of Joe (coffee).  Then we settled back and watched a recent release called "The Book Thief."  It's a real good movie about Jews during WWII.  All in all - a super evening...

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch