Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Brrrrrrrrrr!!! Winter hangin' on

Got up this morning to single digit temp and ice a hanging on just about everything in sight.  I counted about 25 Robins in the front yard.  They were all puffed up and just sitting there.  If they were waiting on me to bring breakfast they were gonna have a long wait.



When we went to bed it was raining but cold.  The ground was too warm for the snow to build up, it just melted.  So - the predicted 2" snowfall never materialized but the freezing rain did.  We're lucky the power lines are still up. 


I saw ice cycles on the high line wires almost 4" long.  I imagine those areas to our west got it worse than we did.  Same thing happened last year - last minute throes of winter.  About 3 years ago, Cathy and I were boating on the lake in March.  We had jackets on but it was no where near as cold as it is now.


Beautiful to look at from a distance but, as they say up in New England, it's wicked cold.  I guess I shouldn't complain too much.  When we were stationed in Misawa, Japan (81-84) we had a record accumulation of 127"  (10' 6") of snow.  It started snowing in October and our last flurry was in May.  Our winds came in off the Russian Siberians and boy was it cold.  You really had to bundle up when you went outside.  Once the snow started falling most people gave up driving their personal vehicles and took the military bus.  The last thing to melt off was the roadway, which had 6-8" of packed snow/ice.  We got used to it tho.  The base was kinda isolated so we wound up spending lots of time sledding on the ski slopes and drinking hot chocolate at the ski lodge.  Good ole days!!?

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch