Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

"In the Doldrums"

A good nautical term for those southern latitudes where winds were slight or variable and "Ships of old" wallowed about without making headway, while the crew became listless and bored.  That pretty well describes today here in the mountains.  It's heavily overcast with drizzling rain and just cold enough to make it miserable outside.  Ah Well - ya gotta take the not so good with the good.  I forgot to post a picture that I happened to take yesterday morning while I was admiring the sunrise.


These two gobblers were strutting about and making quite a fuss trying to impress the girls, which you can't see.  There was about 6 or 8 hens just over the rise that were taking no interest in these braggarts.  I only wish I had had a longer range telephoto zoom that would have made the picture clearer.  With my old eyes, I have trouble getting a real clear focus so that when I enlarge the photo the picture is clear.  But you get the idea.  This hill in back of our house seems to be the gathering place for all kinds of critters - year round.  We almost always have morning and evening deer grazing and in the late spring, the hen turkeys begin their parade of young.  I've seen over 40 turkey parading about on this hill.  Too far to shoot but too close to sneak up on.  So I admire them from afar.  I'll get my lens one of these days.  Anyway - back to the doldrums.  Today is my "girlyman" day.  Cathy goes to town for her weekly shopping and while she's gone I spruce up the house.  I vacuum, mop and wax the floors for her cause she has trouble with her legs and back.  And I can do something useful for a change.  Actually it's a very small price to pay for all the super meals that Cathy has made. 

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch