Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

WOW - ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

I give up.  Just when I thought warmer weather was here to stay - down goes the temp.  I woke up this morning to 27 degree temp and awful looking white stuff on the back porch.  The white stuff was a cross between sleet and snow.  It made it up into the mid-high 40's.  Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same.  Guess I'll not put my long johns away anytime soon. 
So - since we were gonna put can or recessed lighting in Cathy's kitchen, I figured this would be a good time to put in an attic ladder for easier access to the attic space and possibly provide some additional storage space.  I needed to look at the install area from the attic so up I went.  Our insulation is a blown-in variety rather than the batting.  It's pretty messy and awfully dusty but I made it across 25 feet of attic to take a look.  I'll need to clear all that insulation away from the install area so I can see what I'm doing for the ladder instal, then I need to clear smaller spots for the recessed lights to avoid a really dusty, dirty mess in the kitchen.  Took most of the needed measurements, then came back down and buttoned up the small closet access hatch to the attic.  Surprisingly, even without insulation against the upper steel roof, the attic space was just about the same temp as the inside of our house.  Now - while I was doing all this stuff, Cathy was preparing for our evening meal - Korean Barbeque.  Thin strips of beef are marinated in mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar. chopped scallions, sesame seeds, garlic and a few other odds and ends.  Before adding the meat to the marinade, about a half cup is set aside to be used as a sauce for the rice.

The meat strips are then cooked in a electric skillet, dipped in the sauce and laid over the bowl of rice.  The sauce, which you will remember was set aside from the marinade, mixes with the rice, giving it a super flavor.  Combine that with an excellent wine of your choice, which can also be your favorite beer, and you have a meal to remember.

Of course Cathy seldom stops until she's completely surprised me.  And she did it again!!!

Apple pie from the apples she had canned last year.  Man was that a super feast.  Topped it off with a lively cup of java and that made my day, Cathy's too.  We're both sitting back quite content with ourselves.  In Japan that same meal is served in the restaurants where you sit on cushions on tatami mats at little tables barely a foot off the ground.  There's a gas hibachi grill in the middle of the table and all the food is brought to your table where you cook it yourself, to your taste. Of course, neither Cathy not I are flexible enough anymore to sit at a table that low.  But we used to and we took the kids with us.  Well that'll just about do it for tonight and hopefully no heartburn.

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch