Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring

Well here it is almost the end of April and I am finally finding time to write a few lines. The weather has been perfect here lately in the upper 70's. The rest of the week rain is predicted.

Got the garden plowed up and a delivery of top soil today. This clay soil is very hard root veggies don't grow very well in it so Chuck decided we needed top soil. Waiting for the neighbor to come over and spread the soil then Chuck can till the garden. Luckily, our neighbor lets us borrow his tillar. Guess we will have to invest in one if we are going to have a garden every year. Now we have to decide what to plant and lay the garden out.

I cooked up a big batch of spagetti sauce this week and canned it. I did put one container of the sauce in the freezer for another time. I got 3 quarts and 2 pints canned. Also had some frozen tomatoes from the garden last summer and made up 4 pints of medium salsa. Can't wait till the peaches are out so can freeze some and also can some. The neighbor asked us if we wanted some canned green beans so will take a jar of spagetti sauce over tomorrow and get a couple jars of beans. I gave the ones I did up to my youngest daughter when she and the girls were here at Christmas. She took more pickles home to.

We spent a couple of days in IL with Chucks sister Easter weekend. I brought a ham and a bag of frozen greens and some other stuff. We had a turkey breast along with the ham and all the trimmings. Diane cooked more than needed for five people. We hope to take a trip back later on the summer.

Planning a trip to Fort Campbell, KY next week. Its been a long while since we have been to a military base. Love to shop in the commissary and exchange. I am waiting to hear if they have a room available on base. Active duty have priority so it may be hard for us to get a room. There are hotels and motels in the area as well.

Finally finished the renovation to the main bathroom last month. Still have to get new fixtures for the shower and some new rugs. Will do the master bath early fall. Thats a job and the bathroom was out of commission for over a week! It took 2 days just to do the tiling! In the master bath we plan to put in radiant floor heat before we tile. That should warm it up in the winter.

Well not alot going on here this week. So I will sign off.

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch