Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Christmas 2014

Wow - where did the year go.  It's already Christmas and the New Year is looming on the horizon.  This year it's just Cathy and I having a quiet Christmas together.  For the first time in a long time, we had carolers come to the house singing Christmas carols.  Wasn't a real big crowd and we knew most of them.  We invited them in to warm up and for some hot cider and cookies.  We enjoyed it but always miss the kids and grand kids this time of year.  To all our friends - you to Barb - Cathy and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and we wish you a joyful and prosperous New Year.

 
We really missed Christmas with our newest grandson, Kai. He was born in October and this was his first Christmas.  Maybe next year Stephen and Lisa will be able to bring him up for a visit at Christmas time.
 
 
Merry Christmas "little man" - hope to see ya soon.

 

 I got quite the surprise for Christmas this year.  Cathy found a great deal on a 12" double bevel compound miter saw with laser guide.  Actually - the guy I work with, Ken, found it on Harbor Freight and emailed the notice to her.  He told me about it and I discussed it with Cathy but she pointed out that we could use the money elsewhere, to which I agreed :(   As it turns out, she had already ordered it after talking with Ken.  

 
This saw will do everything I could possibly need.  Now I have no reason to tell Cathy "no" to any project she comes up with.  Smart gal that Cathy.  Which leads right into her newest project.  She's sick and tired of the hollow core interior doors we have.  I just happened to mention this to Ken and he pointed out that he had two solid wood doors that he had ordered but the people we were building for had preferred another style.  Since they were special order ($120 each) he couldn't return them and offered them to me at 2 for 1. 
 

I took a picture of the door, showed it to Cathy and she liked it.  So - this is my next project.  Only have two of them for right now.  Will give them three coats of polyurethane, then hang em.  I had to cut about 3/4 to an inch off the bottom of both of them.  For some reason our door openings are not the standard height.
And just when things were going soooo well - Cathy had a fall.  Early Monday morning Cathy fell on her back in the bathroom and hurt her hip/lower back.  Gave us one hell of a scare.  Doc took an x-ray of her lower back and everything seems to be ok.  Appears to be a deep muscle bruise and boy is it painful.  She's having trouble sitting or laying in one position of any length of time.  It's particularly bothersome at night when she's trying to sleep.  Has to keep changing positions about every hour or so and needs help getting in and out of bed, again.  Accidents happen but boy this is kind of setting her back on her exercise schedule.  Patience is what we need but she sure doesn't need anymore pain at this stage of the game.  We'll just have to be more careful and I'll have to keep a closer eye on her.
Will probably have a few more days of construction work next week before Ken starts a new bathroom remodel job.  I may do some of the demolition for that job but will be off till he finishes that project.  I'll enjoy the down time.  Maybe get to do some arrow head hunting.  We've had a lot of rain lately and I can just hear them calling my name.  Oh - Well - till next time.
 
 
 


No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch