Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Freaky Weather

Man - this weather lately is getting weird.  It's extremely cold and snowy one day and sunny in the 60's the next.  Seems it's not just here but all over the nation.  Anywho - we have been spending a lot of time indoors and started getting cabin fever.  So, Cathy's way of breaking the monotony is to cook.  I have to say I'm the benefactor of this and since I really enjoy eating, I don't go wanting much.  Yesterday she decided to try raised donuts.  I even pitched in cause it sounded interesting and man can I put away donuts, with my coffee of course.  This was the result:


Talk about deeeellliiiiccccciiiiooooouuuuusss.  Warm out of the deep fry and I ate them by the pound.  I'll regret it later because without some exercise my shoes seem to get heavier every time I get on the scales.  My Doc says it's the steel toes but I don't wear steel toe boots??????  We figured we'd take some up to our neighbor's, Joe and Jan.  I told Joe the donut holes were for him and Jan was to get the donut. 

Cathy decided that, in addition to glazed, she'd try the powdered sugar.  I guess they turned out alright but I'll stick with the glazed cause you get more that way.  Heh Heh Heh!!!
          Since yesterday turned out so nice, I decided to go arrowhead hunting round about the mountain.  Didn't find anything below the house on the logging road but there was lots of wash out from recent rains and lots of flint chips all over, just no full arrowheads.  I figured I'd go visit a site about 2-3 miles down the road at a logging/lumber mill where the ground is usually very productive for finding artifacts and I have permission to hunt. 

I had just gotten off my 4 wheeler and looked down at my foot and found this.  Unfortunately it's been run over and such but the basics are there.  This was a Big Sandy point (4,000-6,000 yrs old), that by close examination, had been reworked by the original owner back in the day. 


This is what it would have originally looked like before being reworked or re-sharpened.  Obviously my find is a black chert while the one in the picture is probably a grey Ft. Payne chert, which is more common to this area.  Note the value of the undamaged point.  It gives a whole new perspective on hunting arrowheads.  I also came across this fossil:



Note the grooves in the surface.  I'd say it's some kind of plant bark or such.  Will have to do some internet research to see what I can find out.  Anyway between the donuts and artifacts, it was a pretty productive day after all.  Happy VALENTINE's day  ya'll.

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch