Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Controversy

This cement statue was given to me by someone when we (Ken and I ) renovated the inside of their horse barn.  It was left by the previous owners and the current owner wanted to get rid of it.  I offered to purchase it but they gave it to me instead.   It's commonly called a "Jocko" or cement lawn ornament.  The people who gave it to me felt it was extremely racist but I think of it as an antique.  My research reveals that the original "Jocko" could have been tied into the early horse racing days when almost all the jockeys were black.  Another theory is that these or similar statues were used in the 1800's to mark the way for blacks to find the underground railroad.  Still another theory but
totally undocumented is that the a similar statue was erected by Pres. Geo Washington at his home to commemorate an young black boy who froze to death guarding Washington's horses when they attacked Trenton, NJ during the Revolutionary War.  This reinforced cement statue is 40" tall and stands on a 3" base.  Interestingly, the features are  caucasian and not what you would consider "black features."  I've found similar statues on ebay, one of which is very close, that is still manufactured by a company from the 1960's selling for around $140.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I wish there was a way to find out exactly what the original story is on these. I do think they have a historic artifact value and need to be preserved.

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch