Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rain, Rain, Rain

Chuck finally got the garden planted. He planted seeds last night for swiss chard, spinach and beets.  Still has more to plant.  Right after he planted a bunch of plants it poured rain for almost a week!  We were afraid that the plants wouldn't survive with so much rain.  We will have a late garden this year.  The vadalia onions are up already.  The neighhbor brought us some onions and cucumbers last week.  I want to make some pickes but need a few more cucumbers.  I have some canned tomatoes that I did last year and want to make some salsa.  The grandchildren love pickes and salsa. 

We took a trip to Nashville last week.  Chuck had a 9:30 am appt. on Saturday for a hearing test.  He wants to see if he can get a disability which is job related to his 27 years in the Navy.  Whatever % they give him his military retirement won't be taxed that %.  He aslo wants to see if they will give him hearing aids.  Luckily he had all of his hearing tests from day 1 in the Navy  till retirement.  The VA rep in Jamestown said Chuck would hear from the VA sooner since he had complete documentation.  We went up on Friday night and stayed at a motel not far from VA facility was able to get a handicap room which made it easier for me. 

I am doing well with getting around alot better.  Last week I was relaeased from physical theraphy.  I still do my exercises every day and when I saw the Dr. on Wed. he said I could start using my treadmill.   He also said that I will have to have pain in the other hip before I can get the surgery done.  Insurance won't pay unless I am in pain even though the MRI shows the damage!  I really didn't want to wait till I am in pain and limping around!  I have been walking with the cane two weeks now and am starting to practice walking without the can.  I still feel like I want to limp when I try walking.  I think I am doing well enough to walk down to the boat next week.  Hopefully we will have some nice days and Chuck won't have to work.  He worked a couple of days last week the extra money will come in handy for the Dr. bills.  I had to make payments arrangements for the hospital bill which our share was $750.  The rest we have been able to pay off. Still owe the Orthopedic Dr. $236.  Paid part of the bill last week.  They will just have to wait!  Money is tight when you are on SS!

Chuck was fianllly able to get the yard mowed on Friday.  All that rain really made it grow fast.  It was raining when I got up this am.  I imagine we are in for more later. Have to make a trip into town to Walmart for a few things we have run out of.  I haven't been able to go grocery shopping as yet.  Short trips is all I can handle right now.  I hate grocery shopping anyway!!

Well not alot of news if we get to go out on the pontoon next week I will post and include lake pics.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Hey Cathy, Goad to hear that you are starting to get along better with that hip. I do hope you can get out on the pontoon soon. We've been enjoying ours as always. We just finished the 4th year of having the pontoon.

Still Love It! Take care,

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch