Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hip Replacement

Kinda been occupied lately with Cathy's recovery process and the physical therapy associated with her hip replacement surgery.  She underwent surgery on 20 May so we're into the 4th week post-surgery.  She's doing great.  Just this week she transitioned from the walker to a cane and occasionally almost forgets about the cane.  Her only major slow-down is getting in and out of the truck but we manage it, just a little slow for now.  Doc says it'll take about 3 months for the surgery to completely heal but that Cathy will determine when she's back to normal.  Daily exercise, aggressive PT and patience will see her through.  She's a little too determined at times so I have to remind her to slow down.  Her current goal is to get out on the boat and get to fishing.  We'll see how that goes.  I have no doubt that within a week or so we'll be out on the boat.  Been keeping close to the house for the past few weeks to keep a close eye on her but as she becomes more and more independent, I'll get back to my old routines - arrowhead hunting, hiking, woodworking in the shop, working away from home etc.  We have an appointment with the Nashville VA on Saturday to get my hearing test for a disability determination.  I had all of my Navy physicals, which included me hearing tests, so the VA rep submitted my disability application as a fully developed case which saved a lot of time.  Will still have to wait for the test and other history to be reviewed by the board to get their determination.  Been putting up with my hearing loss and ringing in my ears for years and figured it's about time I did something about it.  Actually Cathy got tired of me saying Huh all the time.   Finally got the top soil delivered so we can start the garden.  With Steve's wedding and Cathy's surgery, we're getting a late start to the garden this year.  I got a larger load this time so we have a somewhat raised garden which should make the underground crops (taters, carrotts, radishes, beets etc) to grow better.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Nice to get an update on Cathy's hip progress. Tell her I said Hi! and to not over do it so quickly. Take care, P.

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch