Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Heat Wave!

Another hot day today was suppose to get up to 103 degrees today. The humidity must have been higher today because I really felt the heat today. We would have stayed home but Chuck broke a filling last week and had to get it fixed. The dentist couldn't fill it so put a metal crown in. Its covered under our dental insurance that we have thru the military retirement. Just a $50 deductable and 20% of the cost of the crown. Chuck thinks that the crown cost $144 or so. The porcelain crowns are over $600 and that would cost us half the amount.

We stopped at the vegetable stand and they hardly had any veggies. With the drought going on I don't think the veggie crops were very good. I know that the cost of hay rolls will skyrocket due to the drought. Our old guy eats soaked hay cubes which we buy at the feed store. He only has 2 molars so can't chew very well. Speaking of "Jim" the mare in the field next to Jim is in season and is driving him nuts! He runs up and down the fence line and sometimes won't come and eat his breakfast and dinner. Guess you are never to old! Ha! He is losing weight so will have to increase his feed that means buying more than the 5-50 lb bags of feed we buy once a month. Chuck is planning on fencing in the front and backyard area and keep him away from her. The owners of the horses also have cattle and they rotate them so hopefully they will move her soon.

I didn't get the job that I interviewed for 2 weeks ago I have a feeling that they felt that I was overqualified or they just hired a local. I did go to the school board office and fill out my app for a job. I guess I could always substitute teach but I am not sure that I want to do that. I decided to go back to college and finish my AA if I can qualify for financial aid. I already have my AS in Office Systems but would like to either take the necessary classes for the AA or take some legal classes for the legal assistant or legal secretary. I think that they offer a couple of legal classes at the campus in Jamestown. I am also looking for a Web Design class. The campus in Jamestown is very small and they operate out of portables. There is another campus in Livingston, I will have to see how far they are from here.

Finally heard from Kristy today we were at the library in town when she called my cell. I wanted to find out how the girls first week of school was going. Jynna has to be up at 5:45 am and catch the bus at 6:30am to go to middle school (she is in 6th grade). Kristy had to put her in a different school since the other one closer is so bad and their students scored very low in testing. Kaylee still goes to the same grade school and is in 4th grade this year. Kristy said Kaylee had a real growth spurt over the summer and she needs bigger uniforms. Hopefully, she can wear some of Jynna's old uniforms. Jynna doesn't have tolwear uniforms this year.

Chuck is into arrowheads and has found some on our property and down in the woods and has been researching them. So we went to the library to look for a couple of books on arrowheads. Since they are reference books, he couldn't bring them home. I plan to research the history of our area.

The temps are suppose to drop over the weekend to like 92 degree's I hope that it doesn't go back up to 100+ degrees next week. Chuck hasn't been able to work all week because of the high temps. Maybe he will get the fencing done next week. Don't know if his former boss will have anymore jobs here for him. Brian heads back to FL tomorrow.

Well we found our hot tub online thru the Army Airforce Exchange. Chuck signed up for a Star card and will order the hot tub and get 10% off the first purchase. The will save a good amount plus the shipping is $175 compared to $300 (Thats what Sams charges) plus we save sales tax. When the CD matures the third week of Sept we can pay off the Star card. We have looked online and at a couple of stores but couldn't find a better deal. I think this hot tub is last years model. Someone told us to buy one in the summer as they are cheaper and they are. We priced a floor model at one store and it was like $4200. The one thru the BX is a little more than half of that amount. (Of course the store does deliver and install it. ) We will have to find some help to get it up on the deck. Chuck will re-inforce the deck area where we plan to put the hot tub and he will have to run the 220 power. I will post pictures when we get it installed and running.

Hope you all are cooler than we are!

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch