Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Back to the unpredictable weather

We've been having typical wintery cold nights but above seasonal daytime temps.  Today it was around 47.  It only took a couple days of warmer weather and some rain to mostly clear the 13" snowfall we had on the ground.  Almost all the roofs are clear of snow.  The ground is totally saturated and super soft.  The runoff from the melting snow will continue for another couple of weeks.  Wolf River is running very high right now and Dry Creek is everything but dry.  Now would be a terrific time to be out hunting arrowheads but it's just sooooo muddy.  I guess I'm a fair weather hunter.  Anyway - to break up the cabin fever and monotony of doing nothing - Cathy decides it's time we try to make some donuts again.  We have a recipe book from my hometown.  We got it when we went back to Kinmundy, Illinois for my Mom's funeral.  The book title is "Cooking With Love & Memories" and it consists of recipes from family members and friends of the Kinmundy Christian Church, copyrighted 2002.  Anyway, a very dear friend of my Mom, Eleanor Tate had a donut recipe that was "to kill for" and it was listed in the book.  So we tried it.

I gotta tell ya - ya can't eat just one.  I remember Eleanor's donuts were always the best I had ever had, including Dunkin Donuts and Crispy Creme.   Cathy decided to make only half the recipe because we're supposed to be watching our weight (heh heh).  That half recipe made 3 dozen donuts which should last me about 2 days - lets see half dozen before breakfast with coffee, munchies throughout the day and about half dozen before bed with coffee - yup that'll just about do it. 

There probably should be a law against these things but, as Andy Griffith used to say "boy are they goooooooood!!!"  Thanks Eleanor for including your recipe in the book.  Anybody who knows Eleanor, knows about her donuts.  And the really amazing thing is it took only about 1 hour to make them.  We already made two loaves of bread so that should be all the baking for awhile.  Wonder what's next.....


No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch