Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Busy Times

It's been really cool here lately so Cathy decided she'd start canning.  Our neighbor, Joe, has a rather large vegetable garden but they're not quite ready to harvest yet.  He did bring Cathy a bag of cucumbers and beets that she's gonna can.  So we headed up to our favorite farm in Monticello, Kentucky and bought corn, tomatoes, green beans and squash.  I usually help with the blanching which allows Cathy to sit at the kitchen table and process for canning.

 

So - yesterday she canned 11 pints of Salsa, 8 pts and 8 qts of green beans, 6 pts of beets (pickled and plain) and 4 pts of corn.  She had already canned the blackberries that I'd picked the other day and made blackberry jam.  It's terrific stuff.  I already had some on a biscuit with my biscuits and gravy for breakfast. 




 
 
So did I sit around and watch her work all day - Nah - I worked on her HONEYDO list.  She wanted a lattice surround on the street side of our hot tub so that was my project.  I figured it'd take about an hour or so since we already had all the materials.  But ooooooohhhhhhh nnnnoooooo.  There's nothing straight and plumb about this place and that includes the porch and deck.  The corner 6 x 6 post is twisted and the other post is shorter.  I had originally figured I'd build the lattice frames on the ground and lift them into place.  Uh - Nope.  Had to cut each piece separately.  The top 2 x 4 is grooved in the middle to accept the 9/16" lattice.  Anyway - it took about 3 hours to complete but it didn't turn out too badly. 
 

And now - - if you have a few more minutes  -  - I made this video of our Moon flowers blooming in the evening.  Most people probably figure it's time lapse photography but it ain't.  My camera will film a 10 minute movie and I only needed about 4 minutes.  I know - it's kinda boring, like watching grass grow but it's neat to actually watch the buds unfold into a full blown flower.  There's a Hummingbird moth that finds these flowers and helps with the pollination.  My neighbor, Joe, told me about them and I said Yea - right!  So he invited us up to watch his bloom.  Then this spring he gave me 4 plants.  Ya gotta control them cause they spread like wildfire.  I'm hoping the mulch will control that.  Here goes:  Hum - don't think it's gonna work.  It's taking forever to load.  I'll check on video uploads to this blog and try again later.  But, in the meantime, here's a pic of what it looks like after it blooms.

Sorry about that.  Oh well, back to work...


 

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch