Welcome Aboard

We would like to welcome you to Cathy and Chuck's blog. We try to make at least twice monthly entries but sometimes get lax and neglect our blog. BUT we try to make up for it with hopefully interesting and informative articles. Happy Reading

About Us

My photo
I'm Cathy, a 67 year old retired Navy wife. Spent 24 years as a Navy wife until my husband retired after 27 years of service. We traveled all over from Washington D.C., to Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Maartin, Martinique, Japan and Korea. We re-located to this beautiful state of TN from Central FL. We live in the mountains on 5 acres with our 10 cats (5 indoor). I'm Chuck, the Other Half of the equation. I'm a 68 y/o sailor at heart. While in the Navy I was a Cryptologic Tech (Intel type). My most memorable tours of duty were in Submarines (Scorpion, Skipjack, Triton & Ray), as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Deputy Director National Security Agency (RADM C.F. Clark), and my last tour as Operations Chief at NSGA Homestead, Fl during Hurricane Andrew. It was a good time to retire. We have been looking for this home since 1965 and thank the good Lord that we're finally here.

Monday, February 18, 2008

High Winds

The past two days we have had very high winds up here on top of the mountain. We lost electricity about 8:30 am. They worked on it and got it on but we only had power for 20 minutes before it went off again. We found out that 2 tree's were down on electric poles and snapped them both in two. The power finally came back on at 9:30pm last night. We had decided to go to town for batteries and butane for the barbacue grill so we could at least cook (we have an electric stove) something for dinner. Luckily I had made chicken burgers the other night and had two left. And I had buns in the freezer. We had two battery operated laterns and candles. We didn't think that the power would be back on till today. Luckily, our water is city water (not a well with a pump) and the water heater is gas so we had hot water to shower. Almost like camping! Ha! Guess I will dig out my butane camping stove and coffee pot so Chuck could have his coffee anyway. We at least had cereal to eat for breakfast before the milk went sour. Next time we will be more prepared like we were in FL for the hurricanes. I don't think that the power goes off very often here.

Today driving into town for lab tests it was spitting snow. It was only in the low 30's but once it warmed up it stopped. I hope it snows again before Spring arrives but by the looks of the weather next week, it will be to warm.

No comments:

Back Porch View

Back Porch View
Eastern view off our back porch